1) In what year was the railway through Barrow opened? (1840)
2) Where was Barrow’s original station? (off the High Street close to the island, at the bottom of what is now a car park)
3) Which Barrow industry can be traced back as far as Roman times? (digging out and burning of limestone)
4) On which streets are the two charitable building set up by the Theophilus Cave charity? (Church Street (Old Men’s ‘Hospital’), North Street (Old Women’s ‘Hospital’)
5) What dramatic event affected this church in 1868? (the tower collapsed during renovation work)
6) Until the 1960s there were two Methodist churches in Barrow, one was where the current church is but where was the other? (On the High Street where the dentist is now)
7) John Sydney Crossley lived in Barrow and is buried in the Holy Trinity graveyard at the west end of the church. For what is he famous? (The railway engineer in charge of the building of the Settle-Carlisle Railway)
8) There is a small sundial in the memorial garden on the opposite side of the churchyard jitty from Holy Trinity church. Whose life and service does it commemorate? (Dr. Grey, the doctor in Barrow for over 40 years until his death in 1963)
9) During the nineteenth century where was the Barrow workhouse for poor people? (48-51 Beveridge Street (formerly called Industry Street)
10 )Going out of Barrow on Sileby Road what was made at what used to be a factory on the right side as you go down the hill towards the brook? (Hosiery (socks and stockings)
11) Humphrey Perkins School has been at its current Cotes Road location since 1902 but the school was founded in 1717. Where was it located previously? (In what is now the Conservative Club off North Street)
12) Why was a short piece of canal dug in 1794 between the Soar Bridge Inn and Navigation Inn? (so that barges did not have to follow the much longer loop of the River Soar through Quorn)
13) Where was the Barrow Catholic church and when was it opened? (Hollybush lane, St Alban’s church was opened in 1839, ten years after Catholic Emancipation)
14) What was the original use of the Roundhouse (the small building on the corner of Beveridge St and Church St) (It was a small prison where the drunks were locked up overnight)
15) Where was the plesiosaurus (depicted on the Jerusalem Roundabout) found.?( In the lime workings)
16) How did the Trap (now the Lime Tree nursery) get its name? (The lime workers stopped there on their way home and spent their wages on beer. There is another story that their wives waited for them there and got their wages before they could spend them on beer.)
17) Who is buried under a tree in the Memorial Garden.? (Andrew Dolep, the gunmaker to Prince George of Denmark who married the daughter of James 2nd)
18) Where was the first doctor’s practice in Barrow? (47, Beveridge St. It was established by Dr Andrew Grey)
19) When did the Navigation pub first open and why? (In 1794 to cater for the navvies building the canal)
20) Where was the Board School in Barrow? When did it open and why? (It was in Cotes Rd and opened in April 1880. It was built when it became compulsory for all children to attend school).
21) Where was the Red Cow pub? (In Sileby Rd)
22) Where was the public house (the Ram) that was kept by the Parish Clerk, John Bonser? (Opposite the Jerusalem roundabout, later Falstaff)
23) What was Peter Preston’s profession.? (Journalist and editor of the Guardian)
24) When was the Barrow branch of the WI formed? (1949)
25) What was the name of the Bandmaster who led the Barrow Silver prize band in the village? (Sam Darby)
26) What happened to the prize band at the bottom of New Street when they were playing music around the village at Christmas time? (The cart they were travelling on tipped up, the bandsmen fell off, and several instruments were damaged . The village organised a collection to replace the instruments that were damaged)
27) What was the name of the lady who ran the Post Office in the 1950’s? (Mrs Bartlett)
Last Updated. 29-November-2025 By Keith